Monday, May 14, 2007

Motherhood is great!

I just had my first "human" Mother's Day yesterday (I've had "canine" mother's days for 6 years prior) and it was great! Evan let me sleep for a straight 6 1/2 hours without waking for a feeding. I woke up at 5:30 am feeling quite refreshed, yes, even at that early hour. Evan slowly woke up soon thereafter but didn't fuss at all. He was playing by himself in his bouncy seat and was all smiles when I came to get him. Evan, Daisy, and I spent the morning playing and giggling. I've found that when I kiss or "get" Evan's neck, he smiles and laughs a lot. He also is becoming pretty ticklish on his sides and ribs. We had a lot of fun!
Daddy called later in the morning and told me that the closest he could get to breakfast in bed was a gift card to Krispy Kreme. YUM! So Evan and I headed out to the grocery to pick up a few items and off to Krispy Kreme for breakfast. Daddy sure knows what Mommy loves for breakfast! The rest of the day was spent leisurely hanging around the house with my children. It was great! Evan rolled over again and was in a happy mood all day.

We picked Jason up at the airport around 6:30 pm and after dropping off a coworker and feeding Evan, we headed out to eat at Gordon Biersch. Gordon Biersch is a great restaurant/
brewery that we had in Atlanta. They just opened a location in downtown Rockville, part of a revitalization project. It is yummy! And the portion sizes are pretty large. We're glad that this restaurant is opened and Moe's Southwest Grill is soon to follow! YEAH! We came home, put Evan to bed, and I got my gifts from Daddy and the children. We even got to bed early. What a great first Mother's Day!

For those that don't know, Jason was out of town from Tuesday through Sunday at a workshop in Albany, NY. Yes, that means I was a single mom for 6 days. What made it even more challenging was that Evan and I were taking care of Brendan and Maureen's bunny, Turkish, during that time because they were out of town. Let me just say that I have all the respect in the world for single moms. I don't know how they do it. Maybe they aren't used to having all the help in the beginning. Gosh, I was exhausted! From getting Evan to daycare in the morning, to getting me to work on time, working all day, picking up Evan, coming home and eating dinner, heading out to take care of Turkish, heading home to relax a bit, and then heading to bed. Phew! Add to it another cold - Evan is giving it back to me. It was tough! Now Jason is back home safe and everyone is thrilled. Sorry about my weird facial expression in this previous photo. I don't know...I just feel like it looks weird! Anyway, I survived a week without my husband's generous help and had a wonderful Mother's Day. Now we can settle back into life as we know it...until Daddy goes to another conference next month. Ahhhh, the life of a scientist!

1 comment:

Betsy King said...

I'm so glad your hubby is back home. I agree. I can't imagine how single mom's do it! Sounds like you did a great job handleing it though!